Dedicated in 1909 as a Convent for the Brigidine Order, this building had served that single function for 80 years. When Crawford Architects discovered “The Convent”, it was facing imminent danger of demolition.
With little time to organise, Crawfords needed to quickly identiify a new function and client. The internal organisation of the space allowed for the creation of enough bedrooms suites to permit a small guest house, however the current location was not suitable for this function, necessitating its removal and relocation. Few buildings of this size have ever been relocated long distances. To facilitate the planned removal process and legal requirements for road transport, The Convent had to be dismantled and divided into 4 single story sections, each to be removed separately.
Relocated some 500 kilometres to its new home amongst the vineyards of the Hunter Valley, The Convent was to be fully restored and refurbished by the Peppers Hotel Group into an 18 room guest house of grandly proportioned interiors with federation and gothic styled exterior detailing. With the complete rebuilding of its verandas and porches, the addition of a tennis court, pool and spa with cabana, this guest house reclaims its former dignity representing an element of Australia’s architectural heritage for all to enjoy.
Visit their website: http://www.peppers.com.au/convent/