The mussel shell, a source of food for the indigenous people, was the inspiration for the design of the Exhibition Centre. The iconic design embraces the history and culture of the community.
The Darwin Cove Convention and Exhibition Centre includes a 5,000sqm exhibition floor which converts to a performing arts venue, a 2,500-square meter ballroom and 1,500sqm meeting facilities. The overall development includes a 250 room hotel, 1,200 residential units and new interior harbour. Crawford Architects completed the feasibility study, concept design, urban design, master planning and architectural design. The first phase including the Convention Centre was completed in June 2008.
• 2008 Development Excellence Award for Mixed-Use Development
• 2008 Territory Construction Awards, President’s award
• 2008 National Master Builders Association Awards Public Buildings over $50 million
• 2008 Engineering Australia Awards (Northern Division), Engineering Excellence Award
• Australian Institute of Architects’ 2009 Northern Territory Architecture Awards – Tracy Memorial Award,
• Australian Institute of Architects’ 2009 Northern Territory Architecture Awards – Reverend John Flynn Award for Public Architecture
• 2009 Members’ Choice Award for innovation, nternational Association of Congress Centres (AIPC)