The National Innovation Centre Designed to house the administrative offices of Australian Technology Park Innovations (along with several leading research centres and university businesses), these offices manage the Business Incubator program, promoting the Research & Development interests of the universities.
The New Engine Workshop constructed in 1907 for the manufacture of steam locomotives is one of a group of historically significant late Victorian, early Federation industrial buildings at the Eveleigh site. The project involved the construction of two additional floors within the single storey building to create office space for companies associated with advanced technologies.
The design philosophy developed by Crawfords involved touching the existing fabric as little as possible. The original structure was exposed, brickwork left unpainted, and the roof support system with south lighting was kept visible. Other heritage features such as the travelling crane and rails and hand basin facilities were retained as exhibits demonstrating the previous use of the building. New floors were suspended from existing crane rails minimising physical interference with the existing building fabric.